March is National Nutrition Month and as we are approaching the end of the month, I teamed up with CSUN undergraduate nutrition student, Sierra King, to share some of her favorite ways to stay motivated and on track with eating healthy throughout the year. In addition, here is a list of apps that could help support your health goals by setting reminders, tracking progress and increasing mindfulness.
- Practice meal prepping or meal planning or both. Choose one or two days of the the week to meal plan, grocery shop and prep for several meals of the week.
- Create short term and long term goals. To reach long term goals, it’s important to first start with short term goals such as goals for the day or goals for the week.
- Find ways to work through emotions without food which can lead to emotional eating. Journaling, talking to a friend or family or going to therapy may help.
- Treat yourself to self care and devoting quality time to yourself. Examples include relaxing, reading a new book or trying a new sport, or meditating.
- Make a check list or set reminders on your phone.
- If you get off track of eating healthy, try your best to skip the guilt as this will only make you feel worse and commit to getting back on track by making your next meal or the next day healthy.
- Stay aware of dietary habits and food choices. Get into the practice of asking yourself “Will I be happy with that decision an hour from now?”
- Find the right support to help you through the process of change. Work with a dietitian to get guidance and support to be successful. Have a buddy to team up with.
- Practice mindfulness.
- Moment – forces off your phone
- My mood track – tracks sleep, exercise, medication, menstrual cycles, stress, pain, energy and stimulants–all to help you figure out why your mood goes up or down
- The Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout App – intense 7 minute workouts
- Sleep cycle – tracks sleep
- Sweet slumber – tracks sleep
- Waterlogged – helps you drink more water
- Plant Nanny – reminds you to water your plant when you drink your water. Great reminder to drink water
so your plant doesn’t die
- Headspace – offers mediation guidance
- Pact – earn cash for exercising
- HealthyOut – helps you find nutritious restaurant meals nearby
- ChefTap – find recipes
- Pinterest – find recipes