I’m so excited that cherries are in season right now! They make the perfect summer snack. Here are top 8 reasons why you should go out and buy some right now!
- They are loaded with antioxidants to help protect your cells from free radicals, which can help slow down aging.
- The melatonin in them help you sleep better.
- They have anti-inflammatory properties that can help with arthritic and inflammatory conditions, including gout.
- They may help reduce pain and sore muscles after a workout.
- They promote a healthy heart by helping regulate blood pressure and may reduce risk of strokes.
- A cup of cherries is less than 100 calories making them a low calorie, tasty choice.
- They are packed with vitamins and minerals including Vitamin A, B, C, E, potassium and fiber.
- Some studies link eating cherries to a lower risk of certain cancers, including colon cancer.
Tips on storing cherries:
Cherries kept in room temperature should be consumed within 2 days. If they’re stored in the refrigerator, they’re good for about a week. Keep them in a plastic pouch before placing in the refrigerator. Cherries should be washed only before eating. Always store unwashed cherries in the refrigerator.